- About Us
- On Farm Programs
- Tool Shed Blog
Vineland Research and Innovation Centre is seeking farmer-partners to participate in a specialized World Crop Education and Training Program. This program will mentor farmers through the 2013 season of ethno-cultural crop production providing technical support and guidance.
If you are considering expanding or diversifying your operation, the World Crop Education and Training Program will provide you with an opportunity to investigate new vegetable varieties and learn production strategies with industry experts and researchers.
- grow one or more varieties previously investigated by Vineland (Callaloo, Okra, Bottle Gourd, Yard Long Beans, Fuzzy Melon, Chinese Green Onions, Long & Round Eggplant, Indian Red Carrot, Tomatillos, Daikon Radish, Thai Hot Pepper)
- rural growers ¼ – ½ acre per crop. Smaller plot size for urban growers
- use commercial varieties with agronomic and consumer traits recommended by Vineland (seeds must be purchased by participants)
- attend five sessions scheduled at Vineland or at participating rural or peri-urban (near Toronto) farms in Ontario’s Greenbelt
- five intensive half to one-day workshops free of charge
- access to cultivation resources on the world crops
- staff guidance throughout the season
- connections to possible buyers via networking events and urban retailer field trips
Program workshops will guide participants through all stages of production – propagation, site preparation, transplanting, fertilization, pest and disease management, harvesting, post-harvest handling and marketing.
Workshop Dates & Topics
February – crop overview and selection, crop soil and space needs, seed sourcing
March – propagation, growing media, timing, conditions
April/May – ground preparation & planting, scale-appropriate equipment, bed types, mulching, transplanting, plant spacing, intercropping options, labour requirements
June – harvest timing, crop handling, packaging/ health and safety, temperature and pH requirements, packaging needs for retail supply
TBD – opportunities for direct sale to retailers and distributors
Please contact Dr. Michael Brownbridge for more information
e: firstname.lastname@example.org p: 905.562.0320 ext. 798
Note: Registration Deadline is by February 18, 2013